~ CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA DOCG ~
The Story of Chianti Classico RISERVA DOCG:
Riserva is translated as “Reservation Series” in Chinese, and may be because of translation problem that leads to make many Chinese people misunderstand “This must be the supreme”. As in fact the main meaning of Riserva is referred to the specific time for how long the wine will be stored in the barrel (the stored time depends on different varieties under different regulation, but mostly at least one year up). Because the wine quality cannot merely define its good or bad according to the storing time. It also involves to the mixing combination of grapes, length of soaking time, and factor of personal taste, therefore, if say “Riserva”must be the supreme, will be definitely incorrect.
“Riserva” of Chianti Classico Riserva means storing in barrel for 14 months up (Chianti Classico need to store 12 months up in general). Vino Conte as being sole agent of Montecchio, lets take its products as an example for comparison:
– Chianti Classico : stored in big and ancient wood barrel for at least 12months, then put in bottle for at least 3 months.
– Chianti Classico Riserva: stored in small and new oak barrel at least 14 months, then put in bottle for at least 12 months.
Thus can see the fruit fragrance retained by the former one is more, but its complexity, woody taste and tannin texture have less variation than the latter one.
Moreover the soaking process and time for the grapes together with peel are different, and the storing time in bottle also has different requirement. Although these 2 wines are going for the same direction but in completely different taste and style. Which one is the 「supreme」?? Will leave for everybody to taste and share with Vino Conte .
– 90% Sangiovese, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
– Altitude : 350-400m
– Soil : Medium-texture, Predominantly Calcareous, Alberese and Galetro rocks.
– Vine training : Spurred cordon
– Vinification : 12-14 days.
– Maturing : 14 months in 3.50 hl tonneaux
– Ageing in the bottle : More than 12 months
– Cellaring : 10-12 years
Serving Temperature : 18°C
Tasting Note :
– Colour : Deep ruby Red with a tendency to develop garnet hues with age
– Perfume : Pervasive and complex, with notes of ripe red fruits, spices and vanilla
– Palate : Excellent structure and balance. Persistent in the mouth with a pleasantly intense finish
Accompaniments :Ideal with grilled meat and Tuscan cold cuts. Recommended as an accompaniment to chops and the classic Florentina T-bone steak.
AWARDS & HONORS:
Anteprima del Chianti Classico Firenze 2019 Recommended:
(Only 30 out of 472 wines get the recommendation)
Austrian lifestyle magazine “Falstaff” 2019 Trophy: 91/100 Points (2015 Vintage)
Gold Medal at the International Wine Challenge 2014
Decanter World Wine Awards:
– BRONZE for the Year 2007 (Results 2013).
– BRONZE for the Year 2009 (Results 2015).
– SILVER for the Year 2011 (Results 2016). Rated: 90/100 points.
– GOLD for the Year 2015 (Results 2018). Rated: 96/100 points.
Mundus Vini Der Grosse Internationale Weinpreis:
– GROSSES GOLD for the Year 2008 (Result of 2013)
– GOLD for the Year 2011 (Result of 2015)
Rating by Winespot Hong Kong 2013 Nov:
– Colour: 4/5
– Aroma: 5/5
– Finish: 5/5
– Balance: 4/5
– Complexity: 4/5
Overall Rating: 90/100
Suggested Retail Price:
HKD 580/BT (2008 Year – Limited Quantity)
To Purchase, delivery and terms, please check HERE.